Sunday, May 22, 2005

Fun Race With Fast Guys!

Friday night while at Lauri's, Todd made me a proposition. "Let's ride the whole race together and see what happens". I said OK. Today was French Creek and all the Single Speeding heavy hitters were there. Eric Roman, Travis, Wes, and the return of Marc V. We actually had 11 in the class but I'm not going to list them all. I was ready for this course, I had the oppertunity to ride it a couple of weeks ago. The start was fast as usual, but I was able to resist trying to stay with the big boys. I was in pretty good shape though I was 6th into the single track. I was looking for Todd and sure enough he was behind me within 10 minutes. I got buckled by the guy in front of me, and the next thing I know I am last. I got onto Todd's wheel and we started to pick guys off. This dude riding a Vicious 29er, was telling me ny tire selection was bad, then I blew by him through the rocks and never saw him again. Then we caught Big Ben. Just as we got up to him he flatted. Todd decided to try and put some time on those guys so we took off.

Allow me to back track for a second. The race promoters decided to put all the sport, endurance, and experts on the course at the same time. This made for a lot of passing. I didn't mind it too much but a couple of times I was getting buckled by folks, then i would have to chase down Todd again. We settled into a nice rythym, Todd ringing his bell and shouting, "Expert Single Speeder back". It was kind of cool, and most people were very nice about letting us by. We were hurting but having a great ride, no crashes and no flats. The second lap seemed to hurt pretty bad, but thanks to Todd who kept pushing the whole time I got through it and towards the end of the race was felling pretty good.

At one point during the race we were flying down the last rocky, rotty down hill and ended up passing not 1, not 2, but 3 guys on full suspension bikes. That was a good feeling. In the end Todd gave me the nod because of the series points, which was mighty nice of him. We finished in a very respectable 2:40, I didn't think that was too bad for 27 miles.

Eric Roman won with Travis a little behind him Wes was 3rd and my boy Marc finished 4th, Very nicely done my friend. Tofer was 5th and I was 6th with Todd right behind me in 7th. It was a much better race from last week. Oh! did I mention the course was a Fucking Blast.

Thanks for reading Buddy

No comments: