Wednesday, May 07, 2008

The One That Started It All...

It was our first date, Rachael picked the restaurant. Nice place(that has since burnt down) with a very good beer selection. Up until that night my beer of choice was Sierra Nevada, not a bad beer, but certainly the best out there. I have to admit what attracted me to this beer was the price, I just had to know what a $7.00 beer tasted like. Rachael also pushed for me to try this one. I was awe stuck by the flavor, I couldn't believe a beer could taste this good. I even had another. Well I can now say the rest is history.

I do want to know what beer was it that opened your eyes, which beer made you realize there was more than the heavily advertised macro crap?

Let's here from you,
Cheers,
Buddy

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Me I started with the usual beginning of micros in the early 90's. Sierra, Sam Adams, Anchor, sam Smith. All the big names that have been around. I even brewed my own in 92'. When I moved to West Chester my nieghbors were bottling for Victory. They were bringing home cases of unlabeled beer. I tired one "hop devil" and could not believe a beer that good was made in dtwn. Those guys prefered american pils so I lucked out.

forty f15teen said...

Smuttynose IPA. Still one of my favorites.

Anonymous said...

I was a student in england and I took a trip to Ireland in 1994. I tried Smithwicks. Not a microbrew but at the time you could only purchase it in Ireland and Canada. You couldn't even get it in the UK. I loved it and was very pleased when they started selling it in the US about five years ago. It is still one of my top ten.

Kim said...

Hopdevil...hands down.
Rogue (red)...
I owe many thanks to State Line's formidable beer selection circa 1996-7.

niaodian said...

wow...my fav

Tomi said...

Sam Adams, it was about the only beer with real flavor we could get down in Blacksburg...'88 to '92.

Freewheel said...

Dogfish Head 60 min IPA was my eye opener.

huber said...

when i was underage, my buddy and i would get served at the local beer distributor. i started with Saranac. i remeber the beer guy saying, "if yer drinkin' shit like that, you gotta be old enough to be in here!" plus, if you took beer like that to a party, you didn't have to worry about people drinking your beer.