Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Great Glen...

I'm not going to get into too many details about the 24 Hours of Great Glen, but here is the gist of it. Rolled up to L Webb's beach house in Essex MA with Marc and Diane Thursday night. Woke up to this Friday morning.
After some pancakes and coffee we made our way to the venue. I have to say I have done a few 24 hour races, but this venue and back drop was by far the most beautiful. We were camping at the base of Mt. Washington, right next to the famous Auto Road.

Not the way I wanted to get to the summit for the first time, but it was totally worth it. I will be back for another attempt on foot this winter.

Things could not have been better this weekend. The weather was perfect, 50's at night and upper 70's during the day. The course was a mix of fire road and single track. I would have liked more trail, but there lay out just seemed to work. It was a fun but challenging course. 8.5 miles with 1100' of climbing per lap. We were racing in the 5 person co-ed class. Jeffery, Marc, Myself, L Webb and Monkey, with a whole lot of support from Tom and Brian.

Our plan was simple, keep grinding out the laps and see what happens. We all rode our best, and considering we were the only co-ed team with 2 women, one of which is coming off a knee injury, I thought we did really well. We finished 6th out of 21, and 14th over all. Not too shabby for a bunch of flat landers.

I have to say this was one of my favorite 24 hour races. These folks put on one hell of an event, and given the opportunity I would go back in a heart beat. Thanks to Tom and Brian for keeping us going the whole time, especially in the middle of the night. Thanks to folks at Great Glen for an awesome time. Thanks to my team mates for agreeing to do this race in the first place.

Plus I just kegged my first beer, just 2 weeks away from enjoying a few pints.

Cheers,

Buddy

No comments: