Sunday, June 22, 2014

Not Again...

 So I have been riding pretty well lately an was looking forward to the 12 Hours of Cranky Monkey with Marc and Travis. We made our way there Friday and did a lap of the course, it was a lot of fun and now I was really psyched. The weather on race day was looking a bit iffy, which had me a bit nervous. Between my knee and pending shoulder surgery, I really needed to avoid crashing.

When we woke up Saturday morning, it was dry and the forecast had improved a bit. Marc was our first man out, and he was very excited that there was no LeMans start. Marc was our starter and despite the rain that started fall during his lap, came in third over all. He handed off to me, I took  off and felt pretty good. I got passed by Scott from Seaves and gave chase. We were in a corn field that had a bunch of ruts, but was also a very fast section. Next thing I know, I caught an edge while doing about 25 mph, and hit the ground hard. I felt a pop and knew right away I broke my collar bone.

 Luckily I was close to an aid station and received help quickly. The paramedics showed up in an atv ant transported me to a waiting ambulance, my first and hopefully my last. They took me to the hospital. The folks there were awesome, except for positions I had to put my arm in for xrays, which showed I did indeed break my clavicle. The doctor even said my break "was quite impressive" When I got back from xray, Marc and Travis were there.

  I felt really bad that our race day was done after a lap and 2/3, but it is what it is. I have to thank all the people that helped me out. The volunteers, the EMT's, the doctors and nurses, and of course Marc and Travis.

 Turns out I was one of many that crashed in the same spot, 3 others suffered the same thing as me. It got so bad that they made it a mandatory dismount area.

  Now I have to see what this does to my pending shoulder surgery, I hope my surgeon doesn't yell at me.


1 comment:

Burt Friggin' Hoovis said...

Get better soon dude...